Antioxidants For Plastic
Plastic antioxidants (AO) are a class of chemicals with varying chemical compositions and methods of terminating oxidation. Primary antioxidants are added to the polymer to protect against degradation during the service life of the finished product.
Secondary antioxidants are added to the resin to reduce color formation and to provide processing stability during the pelletization and extrusion/molding processes.
ADEKA has many antioxidants – commodity type as well as high performance types. High Performance types are used for Polyolefins as well as Engineering Plastics like ABS, Nylon, PBT, PC, PC-ABS etc to improve heat stability, processability and colour retention. They also improve recyclability of the polymers.
Benefits - The benefits of ADEKA Plastic Antioxidants are:
- Heat Stability, Processability, and Weatherability:- ADEKA’s antioxidants are high performance products and are used for long term heat stability and weatherability. ADEKA Antioxidants help avoid discoloration of Engineering Plastics which are processed at high temperatures.
- Cost performance:- ADEKA’s high performance Antioxidant are effective at low loading.
- Hydrolytic Stability:- ADEKA has some antioxidants with good Hydrolytic stability.
- Colour Retention:- Our antioxidants suppress discolouration of polymers caused by thermal oxidation and light exposure. They also suppress discoloration caused by recycling.
- Many of ADEKA’s antioxidants are RoHS and REACH compliant.
- Most of our antioxidants are FDA compliant and can be used for food contact applications.
Clarifying Agents For Polypropylene
Clarifying agents are usually organic, non polymeric molecules. All polypropylene clarifying agents also act as nucleating agents. Our ADK STAB clarifying agents are highly cost effective, high performance products. These polypropylene clarifying agents are phosphorous based products.
Benefits- The benefits of ADEKA Clarifying Agents are:
- Clarity:- ADK STAB Clarifying Agents give enhanced clarity to Polypropylene (homo-polymer and random copolymer) compared to many conventional clarifiers.
- Gloss:- Our Clarifying Agents offers very high gloss and surface finish to the product.
- Cycle Time:- ADEKA Clarifying Agents increase crystallization temperature of PP. This increase is more than the conventional clarifying agents, hence parts made from PP can be removed from the mold at higher temperature i.e. it decreases the cycle time and hence productivity is improved (Laboratory results showed 17% increment in productivity).
- Stiffness :- ADK STAB Clarifying Agents increase Flexural Modulus of the PP homo-polymer and random copolymer end product. The stiffness increase obtained by using ADEKA clarifier is much more than that got by using competitor products. More stiffness means processors can reduce part thickness – thus leading to material saving and more clarity compared to competitor products.
- HDT:- ADEKA clarifying Agents also increases the HDT of PP, therefore the parts produced can withstand higher temperature compared to non clarified PP. This HDT increase is much more than competitor products.
- ODOUR :- ADEKA Clarifiers are phosphorous compounds and not based on Sorbitols. Sorbitol Clarifiers have an odour. ADK STAB Clarifying agents do not generate any unwanted odour.
- MOLD DEPOSIT:- ADEKA clarifiers are resistant to migration and extraction, hence there is less blooming and roll/mold deposit.
- COMPLIANCES:- ADEKA Clarifying Agents are RoHS and REACH compliant. Most of our Clarifying Agents are FDA approved and can be used for food contact applications.
- COST PERFORMANCE:- ADK STAB Clarifying Agents exhibit high performance at low concentration compared to conventional clarifiers. This means lower cost to customer.
ADEKA clarifiers are recommended for Extrusion of Sheets, thermoforming, Injection Molding, EBM, IBM, and ISBM applications of PP homopolymer and random copolymer.
Halogen Free Flame Retardants
ADEKA is one of the pioneers and global leaders in oligomeric phosphorus flame retardants.
Benefits - The benefits of our Flame retardants are:
- ADK STAB flame retardants are halogen free phosphorous type flame retardants. They are thus free from toxic emissions like dioxins.
- ADEKA’s flame retardants are available in solid and liquid form. Liquid flame retardants provide plasticizing effect on polymers improving their flowability and productivity. These are for use in PC and PC-ABS, often for end uses like housing of cell phones and lap top computers.
- Powder types are suitable for use in polyolefins & elastomers.
- Our flame retardants possess excellent hydrolytic stability and have less effect on mechanical properties of polymers.
- ADK STAB flame retardants exhibit excellent flame retardancy even at low dosage.
- They exhibit excellent thermal stability and water resistance.
- ADEKA’s flame retardants show very low volatility during processing and result in less deposit on the moulds. These products are far less corrosive than halogen containing flame retardants.
- Many of our Flame retardants are RoHS and REACH compliant.
Applications - ADK STAB flame retardants are suitable for polymers like, ABS, PC, PC-ABS, PPE, Polyolefins and Elastomers.
Mechanism – Thermoplastic Polymers often comes in intimate contact with a wide variety of metals and metallic compounds. Many of these contacts are inevitable; they may begin already with the polymer’s manufacturing process, for example- with Ziegler-Natta catalysts for the polymerization of olefins or any kind of polymer processing whereby contacts with hot metal surfaces in the presence of oxygen are unavoidable. In addition to that, there are numerous occasions where metallic compounds are deliberately or inadvertently (as impurities) added to thermoplastic polymers as stabilizers, lubricants, pigments or fillers and reinforcing agents. A further possibility lies in the practical use of a polymer as insulating material for wire and cables with copper conductors. The interaction between metals or metallic compounds and polymers leads to polymer degradation. It is influenced by number of factors, some of them are, nature of polymer, the kind of metal, its valency and its concentration, the structure of ligand or of the anion, environmental conditions to which polymer is exposed.
The general feature of metal deactivators is their polyfunctionality; this means they contain several ligand items like N, O, S, P, alone or in combination with functional groups such as hydroxyl, carboxyl, or carbamide. The efficiency of a ligand as a metal deactivator depends on the nature of metal ion being chelated. Deactivators form copper complexes with much less residual activity. Metal deactivators effectiveness is improved if; they have sufficient solubility or ease of dispersion, they have good compatibility to avoid exudation connected with loss of performance, they have high extraction resistance, they have low volatility under processing and service conditions, there is no discolouration by interaction with antioxidants or with colourants used for coding wires, Sufficient thermal stability under processing and service conditions, etc.
Benefits - The benefits of our Metal Deactivators are:
1.ADK STAB metal deactivator system significantly improves the plastics thermo-oxidative stability and provides excellent heat stability to polymers in contact with metals.
2.ADEKA’s metal deactivators have excellent compatibility with polymers along with high extractions resistance. Hence, they are highly effective to retard the metal catalysts.
3.Our stabilizer systems have low volatility and have high thermal stability during processing and service conditions.
4.ADK STAB metal deactivators do not discolour by interaction with antioxidants or with colourants.
5.Many of our deactivators are RoHS and REACH compliant.
Applications- ADK STAB Metal Deactivator are suitable for various polymers and plastics.
Nucleating Agents For Polypropylene
Nucleating agents (NA) are polymer additives. Polypropylene nucleating agents increase numbers of sites for crystal growth in the Polymer melt, hence the crystals become smaller compared to Polymer without the Nucleating Agents. In addition, this growth occurs faster and at a higher temperature (15°C to 200°C) than without the NA. This mechanism leads to many benefits.
ADEKA is one of the pioneers in this field and makes very high performance polypropylene nucleating agents. These give better cost performance than most competitive products.
Benefits- The benefits of ADEKA polypropylene nucleating agents for PP are:
- Decrease of Cycle Time:- ADK STAB Nucleating Agents increases crystallization temperature of PP, hence parts made from PP can be removed from the mold at higher temperature i.e. it decreases the cycle time and hence productivity is improved (Laboratory results showed 17% increment in productivity).
- Increases Flexural Modulus:- ADEKA Nucleating Agents increases the stiffness of the end product.
- Higher HDT:- Nucleating Agents enhance the Heat Deflection Temperature (HDT) of PP. Therefore, parts can be used in high temperature applications compared to un-nucleated PP.
- Visual Appeal:- ADK STAB Nucleating Agents provide excellent gloss and surface finish to the end product.
- Cost Effective:- ADEKA Nucleating Agents are effective at lesser concentration compared to conventional nucleating agents. As a result they are cost effective.
- Blooming and extractability:- ADK STAB Nucleating Agents have much less extractability compared to other Nucleating Agents. Result is less deposit on moulds and rolls.
- Compliance:- Many of ADK STAB Nucleating Agents are RoHS and REACH compliant. Most of them are FDA Approved.
ADK STAB Nucleating agents are widely used in Injection Molding and extrusion grades of PP Homo-polymer and impact copolymer. The NA’s are available in Powder and Masterbatch form.
UV Absorbers & HALs
UV absorbers or ultraviolet absorbers (UVA’s) function by shielding the polymer/plastics from harmful ultraviolet radiations while hindered amine light stabilizers (HALS) acts by scavenging the radical intermediates formed in the photo-oxidation process. Combination of HALS and UVA’s enhances the performance of HALS. ADEKA makes a wide range of UVAs and HALS for Polyolefins, ABS, PC, PVC, PU, TPO and Elastomers etc.
Benefits: The benefits of our Light Stabilizers are:
- ADK STAB stabilizer systems significantly improve the plastics stability to the effects of sunlight and heat.
- Our stabilizer systems do not cause blooming or fogging
- ADK STAB stabilizers do not form insoluble salt with fatty acids and hence there are lesser stains on the molds.
- Many of our Light stabilizers are RoHS and REACH compliant.
- Most of our ADK STAB Light Stabilizers are FDA compliant and can be used for food contact applications.
Applications: ADK STAB Light stabilizers are suitable for various polymers and plastics.
Antioxidants scavenge peroxy radicals and decompose hydroperoxides to prevent thermal degradation of polymers.
|ADK STAB |
|Phenolics||White powder or white granule||All plastics, elastomers and fibers||Highly efficient radical scavengers, show excellent synergism with phosphites and thioethers|
|ADK STAB |
|Phosphites||White powder or liquid||All plastics, elastomers and fibers||Highly efficient hydroperoxide decomposers, provide excellent process and color stability|
|ADK STAB |
|Thioethers||White powder or liquid||All plastics and elastomers||Provide excellent long-term thermal stability|
|ADK STAB |
|Blend type||White powder or white granule||All plastics, elastomers and fibers||Blend type of phenolics and phosphites, provide excellent thermal stability|
Plastics are used for various applications and therefore require all kinds of properties. In amongst is the requirement for flame retardancy which is increasingly needed for plastics used for electronic applications and building materials. "ADK STAB Oligomeric Phosphate Flame Retardants and Intumescent Flame Retardants" are Halogen Free products reducing the impact on environmental load and provide excellent flame retardancy.
|ADK STAB |
|Oligomeric Phosphate-type Flame Retardants||Colorless Liquid||PC, PC alloys, |
m-PPE, ABS, PUR, etc.
|(1)Halogen free |
(2)Lower vapor emission
|ADK STAB |
|Intumescent-type Flame Retardants||White powder||PP, PE, EVA, TPO, SEBS, etc.||(1)Halogen free |
(2)Lower generation of dark smoke
(3)Lower generation of toxic gases
There are two types of light stabilizer: Ultraviolet Absorbers (UVAs) and Hindered Amine Light Stabilizers (HALSs). The former converts light energy into harmless thermal energy. The latter scavenge radicals generated by photo degradation.
|ADK STAB |
|UVA||Pale yellow powder||All plastics and coatings||Provide excellent light stability, excellent synergism with HALS|
|ADK STAB |
|HALS||Powder or liquid||Polyolefins, styrenics, polyamides, coatings and PVC||Provide excellent light stability, excellent synergism with UVA|
Metal De Activators
Metal deactivators prevent oxidative degradation caused by copper or other metal catalysts
|ADK STAB |
|Metal deactivators||White powder||All plastics, elastomers and fibers||Provide excellent long- term thermal stability for filled polymers|
|ADK STAB |
|White powder||All plastics, elastomers and fibers||Provide excellent thermal stability to polymers which contact heavy metal|
Nucleating Agents/ Clarifying Agents
Nucleating agents (Nucleators) improve mechanical properties such as stiffness heat distortion temperature, and enhance crystallization rate.
Clarifying agents (Clarifiers) improve transparency of crystalline polymers by generating fine crystalline structures.
|ADK STAB |
|Nucleator||White powder||Polyolefins, Engineering Plastics||Effectively improve mechanical properties|
|ADK STAB |
|Clarifier||Polyolefins||Effectively improve transparency|
To,Adeka India Private Limited