About Balaji Law College
Awards and Achievements
Recognition is as much a part of life at Balaji Law College (BLC) as is dedication. Accordingly, a ‘Best Student’ award has been instituted. A nominated Final Year student is adjudged the best student of the college by the faculty. The selection is based on his/her performance in curricular and extra curricular activities of the college during his/her entire period of study in the college.
Another award instituted is the ‘Best Outgoing Student’. The student is selected from the third year of the Three Year Law Course. Here again, the basis of selection is his/her performance in curricular and extra-curricular activities of the college during the entire period of study in the college.
Awards and Recognitions
All are based on academic performance, faculty recommendation and extra curricular activities including Moot Courts, Sports, Written/Published works, Social Contribution etc.
- Best Student Award
- B.S.L. LL.B (Five Years)
- LL.B (Three Years)
- The Sri Balaji Trophy for Commitment
- Director’s Trophy for the Most Co-operative Student
- Most Creative Student of the Year
- Trophy for Best Attendance Record
- Trophy for Best Academic Record
- Best Advocate of the Yea
Established with a vision of turning out of its portals legally competent human resource excelling both in academics and values
I take this opportunity to convey my heartfelt welcome to one of the leading law colleges in Pune. Balaji Law College is on its mission to reach global standards of Legal education. Law is one of the booming careers in today’s global context.
Balaji Law College offers you all the facilities, ambience and assistance required to stand in this competitive world. We at Balaji Law College are conscious of our responsibility to educate and train our students to take up the challenge ahead. We do hope that our students will take full advantage of the facilities and opportunities offered in our Institution to realize their potential.
With the vibrant, interactive atmosphere at Balaji Law College and courses of multi-disciplinary approach aiming at practical imparting of legal knowledge, we assure you that your learning experience is going to be one of the memorable experiences of your life and career. The study at Balaji Law College will not be only a degree gathering experience but life changing experience for you.
The study at Balaji Law College will not be only a degree gathering experience but life changing experience for you.
Balaji Law College will provide you with not only bare- degree but with value -orientation towards the society and legal profession.
I Welcome you and look forward to see you at Balaji Law College.
Dr. Mariamma A. K.
Dr. A.K. Mariamma., M.A, LL.M, NET, Ph.D.
Dr. A.K. Mariamma, Principal Balaji Law College, has a rich academic experience of 18 years and litigating experience of 5 years. She started her teaching profession at the Government College, Koyilandy in 1993 and worked there for two years, in 1995 she has joined the Government Law College Calicut and worked there till 2007. Thereafter, working as Principal for Law College and in June 2009 she joined as the Principal of Balaji Law College.
Presently she also shoulders the responsibility of being the Rector for Sri Balaji Society Girls Hostel for the last 3 years.
She has lectured extensively on Company Law, Law of Contracts, Consumer Protection Law, Drafting Pleading and Conveyance for LL.B, Legal Education for the LL.M students and Mercantile Law for the B.Com students.
She has visited Sri Lanka and attended the Common Wealth Legal Education Association Regional Conference in 2008.
She has varied research related activities to her credit, to specify published 22 articles and attended 30 seminars and workshops including 5 international Conferences.
Mrs. Swatee Yogessh
(B.S.L., LL.B., LL.M., NET)
Mrs. Swatee Yogessh completed her masters in Corporate Laws and Constitutional Laws in 2003. She joined Balaji Law College as Vice- Principal in March 2012 after working as Assistant Professor in Symbiosis Law School, Pune for five and half years since September 2006 . Before that she had served as a full time faculty in Balaji Law College, Pune. She has lectured on Jurisprudence, International Trade Law, Comparative Company law, Interpretation of Statutes and Business law to undergraduates as well as Law and Management post graduates.
She has participated and presented papers in national and international seminars.
She visited Leibniz University, Hannover, Germany as a research scholar under the Erasmus Mundus scholarship for a period of three months under the aegis of Symbiosis Law School, Pune. During her visit she presented a paper on "Indian Legal System" in Le Havre University, France, and presented a colloquium on Corporate Scandals in India and EU.
She has guided LL.M. dissertations in the area of Business Laws, Corporate Laws and Family laws.
She has drafted self learning materials for the Government and private institutions. She has been invited as a resource person in NGOs and to judge various Moot Court competitions.
Her research interest is Corporate Law (national and international) and Jurisprudence.
Ms. Aarti Tayde
(M.A., LL.M, NET)
Ms. Aarti Tayde completed her Masters in Law (Criminology) from Amravati University in 2006, she is also Masters in English Literature from Amravati University. She joined Balaji Law College, Pune in 2007 as an approved fulltime faculty, after serving as visiting lecturer in Dr. B.R.Ambedkar College of Law, Nagpur (Dhiksahbhumi). She has delivered lectures in law subjects in tutorials run by Jamia Milyia Islamia for the aspirant students of Competitive Examinations. She has lectured on Law of Crimes, Evidence, Code of Criminal Procedure, Contract, Interpretation of Statute and Legal History.
She has participated and attended various seminars and Faculty Development Programmes. Her Research interests are Criminology and Victimology.
Mr. Anand Raut
(B.S.L.LL.B., LL.M, NET)
Mr. Anand Raut completed his Masters from University of Pune. He joined Balaji Law College in 2011. He has lectured on Environment law, Law of Torts etc. He has done Diploma in Cyber Laws. He has attended various seminars, workshops and conferences at the state and national level. His Research interest is Science and Information Technology Laws.
To provide the youth with the best opportunities and environment for higher education and enable them to attain very high levels of academic excellence. To inculcate students moral values and leadership qualities to make them appreciate the need for high ethical standards in personal, social and public life.
Visitors Talk about Balaji Law
- Mr. Umesh Mendjoge – “Balaji Law College Management is taking leading steps in conducting competitions. Student’s participation is noteworthy, students are confident and have shown that they not only arrange programs but also are successful in State and National Moot Competitions. My all best wishes for their future activities”
- Mr. Harshad Nimbalkar – Senior Advocate- “I am greatly impressed with the premises and the Law faculty; students also appear to be eager to learn things. The moot-competition is being held every year which really argues well for the future of the students and profession. I congratulate the Management, Principal and the staff for the same. Wishing you the very best in future”
- K.C. Sharma Baruah – Senior Advocate, Member Bar Council of India – “Myself accompanied by Mr. J.R.Beniwal Vice- Chairman of BCI visited your institution in connection with the official inspection of the Law College, we are impressed with the infrastructure and other facilities put up by the management for the Law College. We are also happy to interact with the faculty members and the students who are all bright and intelligent. I hope with more experienced faculty members the institution would become one of the finest in the country. I wish all of them very best”
- Dr. Sureshchandra Bhosale – Former- Dean, faculty of law, University of Pune – “Today, I have pleasure to be here for prize distribution of moot-court competition arranged by Balaji Law College, It was a very happy event to see the enthusiasm of the student, principal and the staff in arranging the competition. The college has made good academic development, I wish good wishes for the future plans of Law College”
- Dr. Sambhaji Pathare – Director , Board of Student’s Welfare , University of Pune – “Today the College arranged a seminar on one of the socially sensitive issue “Ragging” the eminent speakers are called to discuss about prevention of ragging in college campus. The seminar is well organized, Principal Dr. Mariamma A.K took sincere efforts I organizing it. The college always takes part in extension and con-curricular activities along with day to day curricular programmes and the management particularly Col. Balasubramanian sir is encouraging them constantly. I wish Best future to this college as well as the management of it ”
- Dr. Jyoti Bhakare – Reader, Department of Law, University of Pune (Member Inspection Committee)– “college has certainly taken the leaps to touch the new horizons and progress of the college since its establishment, is really remarkable”
- Umeshchandra J. More – Civil Judge, Pune – “Its great pleasure to be a part and parcel of the seminar held on “anti-Ragging” by District Legal Services Authority Pune with the help of department of student’s welfare of University of Pune and Balaji Law College. Seminar is very well- organized by the institution, I am thankful to the authority for arranging such seminar. Best Wishes, keep it up!”
- Dr. T.S.N.Sastry – Head and Member Management Council, Department of Law, University of Pune – “A nice campus with vibrant faculty and students to learn the law as of legal intricacies and skills ”
Eligibility for the course B.S.L. LL.B. (5 Year law course)
Academic qualification - Higher Secondary School Certificate Examination (10+2) or its equivalent with 45% marks. There shall be relaxation of 5% marks in case of SC/ST students.
Age Limit- Applicant should not be more than 20 years in case of General/OBC candidates and 22 years in case of SC/ST and person belonging to other backward community on the date of admission. As per Bar Council of India Legal Education Rules 2008, BCI: D: 2010 dated 30.11.2010 and circular No. 02/2010 dated 20.12.2010. Sec 5(b) and explanation: Applicants who have obtained 10+2 higher secondary pass certificate or first degree certificate after prosecuting studies in distance or correspondence method are eligible for admission in the integrated five year course. Applicants who have obtained 10+2 or graduation / post graduation through open universities system, directly without having any basic qualification for prosecuting such studies are NOT ELIGIBLE for admission in law course.”
LL.B. (3 Year Law Course)
Academic qualification - A student passing Bachelor’s degree examination with Minimum 45% Marks in any faculty of this University or any other Recognised University shall be eligible for admission to First year LL.B. Course (three-year degree course). There shall be relaxation of 5% marks in case of SC/ST students.
Age Limit- Applicant should not be more than 30 years in case of General / OBC candidates and 35 years in case of SC/ST on the date of admission. Admission Procedure
- The application form along with the prospectus will be available in the college office Or
Students may download the application form available on the college website (www.balajilaw.com).
- Cost of the application form shall be Rs. 300.
- Duly filled-in application forms, addressed to “President Sri Balaji Society” should be sent directly to the Admission Cell - Sri Balaji Society. Address Sri Balaji Society, S.No.55/2-7, Thathawade, Opp. Wakad, Off Mumbai-Bangalore Bypass, Pune-411033
- Application form fees should be sent by Demand Draft of any nationalized bank drawn in favour of “Principal Balaji Law College, Pune” should be sent alongwith the application form.
- The students should write their Name, address and contact numbers on the back side of Demand Draft.
- Incomplete forms will not be considered. All students who have taken admission provisionally, due to non availability of document etc., their admission shall be cancelled due to non submission of documents within stipulated time
- Admission to the courses will be purely based on merit and personal interviews; admissions are at the sole discretion of the admission committee.
- All admissions shall be provisional and subject to approval by University of Pune, on confirmation of the eligibility of the candidate.
- Students should carry all the documents in original as mentioned in the form and should submit duly attested photocopies of all the relevant documents at the time of interview.
- The full fees shall be paid by demand draft of Nationalised Banks only drawn in the name of “Principal Balaji Law College” as described in the fee structure.
Fee Structure for (LL.B) Bachelor of Laws
|Sr. No||Particulars||College Share||University Share||Total|
|3||Students Welfare Fund||80||20||100|
|4||Medical Fee (Only 1st Year)||20||10||30|
|10||Student Safety Insurance||0||10||10|
|13||Student aid Fund||10||0||10|
|15||Eligibility Form Fee||50||0||50|
|16||Home lending & Reading||500||0||0|
|21||Cultural & Student Activities||300||0||300|
|24||Legal Aid Contribution||500||0||500|
|26||Study Course Material||100||0||100|
|27||Annual Social Gathering||100||0||100|
|30||Co-Curricular/ Moot Court||1000||0||1000|
Total fees for Indian Students
|For students from state of Maharashtra||Rs. 12015/- (Twelve thousand and fifteen only)|
|Students from out of state of Maharashtra||Rs. 18115/- (Eighteen thousand one hundred and fifteen only)|
Total fees for International Students
|For candidates from SAARC Countries including Afghanistan||Rs. 20115/- (Twenty thousand one hundred and fifteen only)|
|Non-Residential Indians (NRI) or Persons of Indian Origin (PIO)||Rs. 28115/- (Twenty Eight thousand one hundred and fifteen only)|
Rules & Regulations
- 75% attendance is compulsory, if in case attendance is below than 75%, student will have to face disciplinary action.
- In case of any leave, student should take written permission in advance from the concerned teachers
- Students must always carry their I-Card. The same must be produced if demanded by any college authority.
- Students must observe discipline in the college premises.
- Students are advised to regularly read all notices displayed on the notice boards. Ignorance of the same cannot be justified.
- Students are not allowed to carry cell phones, valuable items in the college premises. In case of any loss college will not be responsible.
- Students should note that smoking, chewing tobacco & gums, use of drugs or possessing any of these are strictly prohibited in the college premises.
- Misconduct behaviour will be considered as an act of indiscipline. In such cases stringent action will be taken.
College uniform is compulsory.
- Breaks are not allowed between the lectures.
- All students are to abide by the rules and regulations of Sri Balaji Society.
- Non observance of above mentioned rules and regulations, student will have to pay fine as per college norms.
Students Achievements For Academic Year 2011-12
|Sr. No.||Name of the Students||Event in which Participated||State/ National / International Level||Prizes/ Medals Won|
|1||Ms. NehaBhandari||1) P.B. GajendraGadkar Moot Court|
2) ShankarraoKanitkar Moot
Court, Modern Law College, Pune.
|State Level |
|(Team Won 2nd Prize) Best Advocate Prize|
(Team Won 1st Prize)
|2||Ms. Neha Joshi||1) P.B. GajendraGadkar Moot Court||State Level||(Team Won 2nd Prize)|
|3||Ms. JahanviTiwari||1) P.B. GajendraGadkar Moot Court||State Level||(Team Won 2nd Prize)|
|4||Ms. Priyadarshini Das||1) ShankarraoKanitkar Moot |
Court, Modern Law College, Pune
2) “JURISTAS”, International Law Essay Competition
|State Level |
|(Team Won 1st Prize)|
|5||Ms. MoutushiNath||1) ShankarraoKanitkar Moot Court, Modern Law College, Pune|
2) “JURISTAS”, International Law Essay Competition
|State Level |
|(Team Won 1st Prize)|
|6||Mr. VivekYadav||1) Y.C.LawCollege 7th Moot Court|
2) Law Quiz Competition
|State Level |
|7||Ms. PriyankaYadav||1) Y.C.LawCollege 7th Moot Court||State Level|
|8||Ms. PoojaWadhwa||1) Y.C.LawCollege 7th Moot Court|
2) “JURISTAS”, International Law Essay Competition.
3) A.K.Khan New LawAcademy, 6th Inter-Collegiate Sports & Cultural Meet in Essay Competition.
4) Law Quiz Competition
|State Level |
|9||Mr. Waquar Nair||1) LokmanyaTilak Moot Court, Deccan Education Socity,Pune.||National Level|
|10||Mr. Ankit Mishra||1) LokmanyaTilak Moot Court,|
Deccan Education Socity,Pune.
|11||Ms. Kanupriya||1) LokmanyaTilak Moot Court,|
Deccan Education Socity,Pune.
|12||Ms. RashmiBharti||1) Elocution Competition, Marathwada Mitra Mandal Shankarrao Chavan Law |
|1) Elocution Competition, Marathwada MitraMandal ShankarraoChavan Law College||State Level|
|14||Mr. Aakash Nair||1) 2nd Indian Students Parliament,|
|Sr. No.||Names of the Students||Event in which Participated||State/ National/ International Level||Prizes/ Medals Won|
|1||Ms. NilamPawar||Fencing (Combat Sport using Bladed Weapon)|
1) Inter Collegiate Competition held by TC College, Baramati.
(For events Epee & Foil)
2) Inter Zonal Competition held by Abeda Inamdar, Pune.
(for event Foil)
3) She has been Selected for the ALL INDIAUNIVERSITY Competition Held in Chennai, AnnaUniversity.
2 Gold Medals
1 Gold Medal
|2||Ms. PriyankaYadav||Chess Competition A.K.Khan Law college, Pune.||Inter College|
Class activities & Pedagogy
Balaji Law College believes in imparting legal education with combination of different teaching and learning patterns. The following are various such student centric – and participative methods followed in the law teaching
- Socratic Pedagogy
- Case study method
- Seminar method
- Class debates
- Moot courts
- Mock and trials and Parliaments
Moot Court Cell
Moot Court Cell of Balaji Law College is a student driven Cell under the supervision and guidance of the faculty in-charge. The cell is instrumental is training and honing the mooting and advocacy skills of the students. It hosts and oraganises the internal rounds of moot to create the pool of talents to be sent for representing the College in inter-collegiate Moot Court Competition.
Legal- aid Cell
The Legal aid Cell tries to imbibe the professional spirit in the students of contributing to the social cause. As it is a duty of every lawyer to provide legal-aid and assistance, the students of Balaji with the assistance of the faculty and practicing lawyers provide free legal advice to the needy people. They also organize various legal-aid camps and activities to sensitise the people about their legal rights.
Placement Cell is a Cell that provides assistance to the students in finding internships and placements in the area of interest. The cell aims at training the advocacy skills and presentation skills of the students to match them with the requirements of the Legal fraternity and society.
Extra-curricular and Co-curricular Cell
Work hard and play hard is the moto of Balajians, hence apart from rigorous teaching learning and mooting activities, the students manifest their artistic skills.The extra-curricular and co-curricular cell is responsible for hosting and arranging various cultural, and sports activities.
Q. Is Balaji Law College affiliated to University of Pune?
A. Yes, Balaji Law College got the affiliation of University of Pune on 14th July 2003 vide letter No. CA/N/S/3756
Q. Is Balaji Law College recognized & approved by Bar Council of India ?
A. Yes, Balaji Law College got the approval of the Bar Council of India on the letter of affiliation of University of Pune on 14th July 2003.
Q. Does Balaji Law College have both the Three year Degree Course and the Five Year Degree Course?
A. Yes, we are running both the courses simultaneously. Admission to the five year law course requires passing of the H.SC Examination with a minimum of 45% marks. For admission to the three year course the candidate must be a graduate from any stream with a minimum of 45% marks.
Q. What other facilities and amenities can be availed by the students ?
A. We have a well equipped library with an updated stock of books, reading room, spacious class rooms, audio visual facilities, computers, high-tech gymnasium and an excellent faculty.
Q. What other activities does Balaji Law College have apart from the regular course?
A. Balaji Law College arranges various law seminars, moot courts, workshops, debates, elocution and guest lectures by eminent personalities in the law field.
Q. Can a person obtaining a degree from University of Pune practice all over India?
A. Yes, a person obtaining a law degree from University of Pune can practice all over India.
Q. What are the career options in the law profession?
A. Various career options are available, such as practicing in courts, joining judiciary, practice in corporate sectors like banks, companies, NGO’s, law firms, solicitor firms, in defence, as a Judge Advocate General, academics and more.
STUDENT CELLS 2012-13
|Selection||Moot Court Cell||Placement Cell||Legal Aid Cell||Extra- Curricular Cell|
|Core Committee||VivekYadav – V B.S.L.LL.B.|
To,Balaji Law College