Braithwaitwas established i191as the Indian Subsidiary of Braithwaite & Co. Engineers Limited (U.K.), for undertaking fabrication of Structural Steel Works. The Clive works in Calcutta commenced manufacture owagonfor Indian Railways from 1934.
In the meanwhile the Company was incorporated in erstwhile Bengal aBraithwaite & C(India) Lton February 28, 1930. In the year 196Braithwaite'Angus Works located at Bhadreswar, Dist. Hooghly was setup for manufacture oCranes, Foundry products, Machinery Componentetc. The Project Division at Calcutta was established in 1978 to executturnkey projects for material handling plant. In 1987 Victoria Works was taken over, which is equipped with all facilities for manufacture oPressure Vessels, Railway Wagons and Heavy Structurals for Bridges and other engineering application.
Braithwaite & Co Limitewas registered and incorporated on 1st December 1976 as a fully owned Govt. of India Undertaking. The company today has three units - Clive Works, Victoria Works both in Calcutta and Angus Works (in Hooghly District), West Bengal. With effect from 6th August, 2010 the administrative control of the company has been taken over by the Ministry of Railways.