About Cavinkare Private Limited
Values and Beliefs : "We shall achieve growth by continuously offering unique products and services that would give customers utmost satisfaction and thereby be a role model."
At Cavinkare, the belief has always been that success is a journey and not a destination. The very birth of the company was based on a young, enterprising individual choosing the road less taken. Over the years, Cavinkare has become one of the most successful home-grown FMCG companies. The company’s position as the brand of choice among loyal customers emphasizes that it can continue to be rooted to its heritage and traditional values while moving with the times – this is the company’s core strength.
Cavinkare is one of India’s most thriving enterprises today. Not only has the company diversified interests and catered to varied customer bases, Cavinkare has constantly looked at how to better its range of offerings. Innovation is the key for growth.
The company continues to look at expanding product portfolios, while ensuring the use of smart marketing to maintain clarity
of product positioning. This means that captive markets are never lost while the conglomerate reaches out to newer ones. Cavinkare can attribute its long time competitive edge to just the simple philosophy of listening to customers and anticipating their needs as well as communicating with them effectively.
The company’s long term vision is to emulate and better the achievements of the past. Thirteen major brands form a part of the Cavinkare umbrella today. The company has a robust presence in India. In recent years, there has also been an expansion drive into overseas markets which has resulted in successful ventures. Cavinkare’s goal is to remain the preferred choice for customers at home and in every market, besides operating with conviction and leading certain chosen sectors for innovation. In summary, Cavinkare aspires to be remembered as synonymous with excellence.
Starting our journey with Chik Shampoo, a landmark innovation that democratized the use of shampoos among the masses in India, CavinKare has become
a legendary player in the Personal Care space. The Personal Care brand portfolio consists of Shampoos (Chik, Meera, and Nyle), Hairwash Powders (Meera
& Karthika), Coconut Oil (Meera), Fairness Creams (Fairever), Deodorant and Talc (Spinz), Hair Colours (Indica Herbal Hair Colour, Indica 10 Minutes Herbal Hair Colour, Nyle Henna & Raaga Professional).
Over the years, CavinKare has successfully transformed itself from a pure Personal Care player to a FMCG conglomerate with interests in Dairy, Snacks, Food and the Beverages businesses. In the Dairy business, Cavin’s is the mother brand which offers milk and milk based products such as milkshakes, ghee, curd, UHT and pasteurized milk. In the snacks business, Garden is the mother brand offering an entire gamut of salted snacks including namkeens and western snack offerings. In the foods business, we have a presence across various price points in the pickle segment, with Ruchi in the premium range and Chinni’s in the
mass-premium range. Other products include Chinni’s Vermicelli, Chinni’s
Energy Peanut Snack and Ruchi Magic Culinary pastes. In the beverages business, we are present in non-carbonated fruit drinks with Maa as the flagship brand. Maa is available in several flavours including guava, apple and mango.
The common thread connecting various businesses is the company culture
of bringing out new products which are significantly winning or are highly differentiated as opposed to the competition. As a result, CavinKare has launched successful brands like Meera Hairwash Powder, an uncontested brand which
is the largest selling hairwash powder in India; Indica 10 Minutes Herbal Hair Colour which has a colour delivery time of just 10 minutes vis-à-vis 30-45 minutes taken by competing products and Cavin’s Milkshake which delights consumers with its delicious, ice cream like taste.
CavinKare has a strong distribution footprint pan India, reaching more than
3 million outlets through more than 6000 stockists. Leveraging its strong distribution network, CavinKare has entered into strategic partnerships with
Coty for Adidas and Jovan brands and Hawpar International for Tiger Balm. CavinKare has replicated the success at home and in foreign lands as well.
We serve consumers in more than 13 countries with a focus on South Asia,
South East Asia and GCC countries.
Success at CavinKare comes from perseverance and the relentless pursuit of innovation. From product launches to business acquisitions, here is an elaborate list of all the milestones achieved by CavinKare.
- Green Trends celebrated launch of 200 Salons in India.
- Meera’s Shikkakai paste launched in Tamil Nadu.
- Cavin’s Lassi got launched.
- Green Trends crossed 100 Salons in India.
- Cavin’s Paneer launched.
- Launch of Indica crème colours.
- Meera’s Conditioner was launched in South India.
- Capital infusion of Rs. 250 crores by Chryscapital to spur investment and growth of the company.
- Cavin’s Diary launched milkshakes in Tetra packs.
- Cavin’s Buttermilk in tetrapack launched.
- CavinKare Ability Awards marked its 10th year.
- CavinKare instituted Chinnikrishnan Innovation Awards to encourage small and tiny entrepreneurs.
- Cavin’s Dairy launched range of UHT milk, Cavin’s milkshakes and Ghee.
- CavinKare's expansion drive into the healthcare business has resulted in an alliance with Haw Par Corporation Limited and markets their product Tiger Balm in India.
- CavinKare instituted Chinnikrishnan Innovation Awards to encourage small and tiny entrepreneurs.
- Cavin's floured milk was launched.
- CavinKare acquired Garden Namkeens Pvt. Ltd., a Mumbai based FMCG company engaged in the manufacture and sale
of snacks, namkeens and sweets.
- CavinKare entered into a distribution arrangement with Coty, a leading fragrance and toiletries manufacturer, to market their Adidas and Jovan range of personal care products.
- Mr. CK Ranganathan was elected as the Chairman of the Confederation of Indian Industry for the Tamil Nadu state council.
- Chik, the company's flagship brand achieved a turnover of Rs. 200 crores.
- CavinKare launched Cavin’s milk, Curd and flavoured milk .
- Chill out and Hema’s batter launched.
- The acquisition of a stake in Padhmam Herbal secured CavinKare, a strategic advantage in shampoo manufacturing.
- CavinKare ventured into the dairy business with the acquisition of Prakash Dairy.
- Harvard Business Review magazine ranked CavinKare amongst the 50 homegrown champions in India.
- Green Trends celebrated 25 outlets in Chennai.
- Green Trends expanded to Hyderabad and Tier II cities - Mysore, Coimbatore and Trichy.
- CavinKare launched Spinz Deodorant for men.
- CavinKare launched Fairever Fruit Fairness Crème in South India.
- CavinKare launched Chik Satin, a superior conditioning shampoo.
- CavinKare marked its foray into the Coconut Oil category through the strategic leverage of their brand Meera.
- CavinKare's revenue crosses Rs. 500 crore.
- Indica Herbal Hair Colours was launched all over India.
- CavinKare added to its existing line of shampoos with the launch of Karthika Shampoo.
- CavinKare added two new variants to Spinz Deo with the launch of Samba and Jive fragrances.
- Chinni’s Chikki was launched in South India.
- Limelite expanded into Delhi.
- CavinKare divested the entire PIPL stake to Essel Propack Limited.
- CavinKare set up a manufacturing plant in Haridwar, Uttaranchal solely for the production of its line of Personal Care products.
- The Salon Chain Limelite makes a grand opening in Bangalore.
- Salon chain Limelite, made a grand opening in Bangalore.
Awards & Recognition
Harvard Business Review magazine has ranked Cavinkare amongst the 50 homegrown champions in India. Over the years, Cavinkare has been felicitated for excellence in various fields. Here is an elaborate list of all the awards presented to Cavinkare.
In 2012 :
- At the 'India Human Capital Awards 2012', held in Hyderabad on December 7, 2012, Cavinkare won the award under the Category 'Outstanding Contributions of Human Resources to Organizational Development.' This was organized by the Employer Branding Institute. The core objective of these awards is the benchmarking of talent and HR practices.
In 2011 :
- Cavinkare was ranked the '23rd Best Employer Brand' in the country by the World HRD Congress
- Cavinkare won the award for 'Innovation in Recruitment' at the 2nd Asia's Best Employer Brand Awards, 2011 held at Suntec Singapore
- Cavinkare was conferred with the 'Best HR Strategy in Line With Business' award from the renowned HR forum,World HRD Congress
In 2010 :
- Cavinkare was featured in the list of top 100 best employers in the Asia Pacific region
- Brand Meera won the 'Abby Award' (Bronze) at the Goa fest media innovation
- Brand Chik won the bronze medal for 'Khwaish Puri Karo' activation organized by the Advertising Club, Bangalore
- Cavinkare won the 'Worldstar Award' for Spinz Talcum Powder pack.
- Cavinkare won the 'Indiastar 2010' and the 'National Awards for Excellence in Packaging' for Fairever Anti Ageing Cream and Spinz Talcum Powder.
- Cavinkare won the 'Excellence in HR through Technology Award' and the 'Best Talent Management Practices Award' at the regional level. At the national level, the 'Excellence in HR through Technology Award' was presented to Cavinkare at the Employer Branding Awards conducted by the World HRD Congress
- Cavinkare Accounts and Finance team has won the CII award for total cost management maturity model (Level 3)
- Cavinkare received commendation for a strong commitment towards excellence in human resource from the Confederation of Indian Industry in the 'National CII HR Excellence Awards'
- Cavinkare won the 'IIMM-Tecpro SCM Award', 2010 for Supply Chain Performance Excellence (corporate category) awarded by the Indian Institute of Materials Management, Chennai
- CavinKare's quality circle team at the Haridwar factory won the runners up award in the 'National Quality Circle Finals' at the National Quality Circle contest organized by the Confederation of Indian Industry
In 2009 :
- Cavinkare ranked 10th, all over India, in the category 'Excellence in HR Through Technology' at the Employer Branding Awards conducted by the World HRD Congress
In 2008 :
- Cavinkare was honored with the 'Corporate Social Responsibility Award' by the Rotary Club of Chennai
In 2004 :
- Times ranked Chik Shampoo in their list of ‘Top 100 B-economic rands in India’
In 2003 :
- Chik Shampoo won the ‘AAA Award’ bestowed by the Advertisement Association of Chennai
It is easier to achieve our goals if the tools for success are in our hands. This is the thought that led to the setting up of Cavinkare’s own manufacturing plants in several locations across the country and abroad. These plants house top-of-the-line equipment to adhere to the highest international standards of production. A highly trained and capable workforce, man the plants and run full scale operations on a daily basis.
The Haridwar Plants I & II : Cavinkare's manufacturing plant was commissioned in 2006. It is situated in the picturesque state of Uttarakhand at the Sidcul Industrial Estate, Haridwar. It spans across an area of 8 acres with a built up area of around 1 lakh sq. ft. It is 225 kms from New Delhi and 52 kms from the state capital, Dehradun. The capacity of the plant is around 5000 metric tons and was built with an investment of INR 70 crores. The plant is environment friendly with effective waste management systems installed in all the requisite places. The following products are manufactured at the plant in various sizes and different variants:
- Moisturizing lotions
- Talcum powder
- Hair dyes
- Herbal powders
The plant has earned the ISO 9001/2008 certificate for quality standards.
The Puducherry Plant : This plant is situated 15 kms from Puducherry. It is a state-of-the-art manufacturing plant spread across 4.1 acres of greenery with 60,000 sq. ft of built up area. This plant is used in the manufacture of deodorants and other personal care products to cater to international requirements, as well as a few domestic markets. The plant is equipped with LPG storage and handling facility. All the safety norms are strictly followed and monitored by the respective officials designated for this every hour. Security forces keep a watch on the plant round the clock. All the employees are trained on safety once in a month internally by our employees and once every quarter by external safety officials. A safety committee has been formed for periodical monitoring of the plant and to ensure strict adherence to safety procedures. This plant has won the 'Cavinkare QC Award' for three years consecutively from 2009 and the 'Unit of The Year Award' for 2011
The Bhiwandi Plant : Garden Namkeens was taken over by Cavinkare in 2009. Garden Namkeens was a premium brand of namkeens manufactured in Boriwali, Mumbai. In order to improve the standards of manufacturing and to take the products to new markets, Cavinkare has invested around 80 crores in creating a modern namkeen and western snack manufacturing plant at Bhiwandi. The plant spans across an area of 1.5 lakh sq. ft. built over 8 acres of land. The plant uses environmentally friendly energy resources like briquettes out of agro-waste for manufacturing, and an air-conditioning system using a Vapor Absorpotion Machine (VAM). The factory also has a 100% water recycling facility to enable effective use of water resources. The western snack plant and packaging machinery is imported from the US & Australia to ensure the plant meets the highest standards of manufacturing and productivity.
Research & Development
Advantage Through Innovation :
- Committed to excellence in R&;D, Cavinkare Research Center (CRC) is a stand-alone facility located in a spacious campus at Ekkattuthangal in Chennai city. It is wholly owned by Cavinkare Pvt. Ltd.
- CRC is recognized by the Dept. of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR), Govt. of India
- Research efforts of CRC also aim to generate Intellectual Property that will be useful for the development of proprietary products leading to leadership which helps build global partnerships
- CRC would like to cater to the R & D needs of both internal and external customers in its areas of expertise with complete confidentiality and without any conflict of interest
Profile Of Chairman
Mr. CK Ranganathan, the Founder Chairman of Cavinkare, was born in the small coastal town of Cuddalore, Tamil Nadu, to parents with a primary interest in education. After obtaining his Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry and a brief stintin the family business, he set out to carve his own path in business. After a challenging start, he finally set up Chik India in 1983 with an initial investment of Rs. 15,000 and Chik Shampoo as his introductory product. The company was renamed as Beauty Cosmetics Pvt. Ltd. in 1990 and was subsequently rechristened as Cavinkare Pvt. Ltd. in 1998.
A pioneer of innovation, Mr. CK Ranganathan has shaped the company to create innovative products by combining the best of nature and technology to improve the lifestyle of consumers. Under his inspiring leadership, the company while expanding into Personal Care, also diversified into Food, Beverages, Dairy and Snacks categories, both in domestic and international markets.
Under Mr. CK Ranganathan’s guidance, Trends in Vogue has pioneered the concept of ‘family salons’ in India and is the first to channel this industry into an organized salon chain sector with its specialist brands - Limelite and Green Trends. Trends in Vogue has a clear-cut focus of providing grooming and personal styling solutions to men, women and children.
Mr. CK Ranganathan was conferred the prestigious, Entrepreneur of the Year Award by the Economic Times in 2004. He was the Chairman of Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), Tamil Nadu State Council for the year 2009-10. He is the former president of the Madras Management Association.
Mr. CK Ranganathan is one of the founding members of the Ability Foundation – an NGO working towards the rehabilitation of the physically challenged. He also instituted the Cavinkare Ability Awards in 2003 to celebrate the exemplary spirit of individuals who have risen above their physical limitations to display great achievements in life.
In order to encourage the spirit of entrepreneurship, Mr. CK Ranganathan has instituted the Chinnikrishnan Innovation Awards in 2011 in memory of his father, the late Shri. R. Chinnikrishnan. The award seeks to identify and promote entrepreneurs running small and tiny businesses built on innovative ideas.
Mr. CK Ranganathan’s endeavor of philanthropy and giving back to society has also extended to the field of education. Cavinkare patronizes a few public charitable trusts that run schools and colleges. Notable among them, the CK School of Practical Knowledge, a one-of-a-kind school in India that offers practical education to students from classes pre-kg to the 12th standard; the CK College of Engineering & Technology and an MBA institute in Cuddalore, both with the aim of providing world class professional education to people in the rural and coastal regions of Tamil Nadu.
By maintaining high quality standards in our products, we have become highly demanded among our clients. Our flawless product range inspires our customers to put all their trust in us and also to place repeated order with us. We procure these international quality products, by associating ourselves with reputed manufactures based worldwide. We are very specific in selecting our vendors. For this, we have streamlined a vendor selection policy, under which we analyze the following points related to the vendors, before making our choice:
- Raw material
- Manufacturing techniques
- Product's quality
- Deadline meeting capacity
- Products price value etc
Our Alliances With Coty :
As a part of our expansion plan, Cavinkare has entered into an alliance with Coty Corporation. Coty was founded in Paris in 1904 by François Coty, a visionary in the perfume industry. Today, Coty is a new emerging leader in cosmetics – with its presence in fragrances, color cosmetics, skin and body care
COTY offers products from ultra-premium luxury to entertainment/lifestyle with accessible price points to match the lifestyle of consumers across the world. They have brands like Adidas, Jovan, Astor, Beyonce, Calvin Klein, David Beckham, Davidoff, Esprit, Guess, Playboy, Nautica and Rimmel, to name a few
As a part of our tie-up, Cavinkare is currently marketing and distributing the Adidas and Jovan personal care range in India. Currently the products are imported from Germany and sold across India. The products are available in all leading departmental stores and modern trade stores of India, as well as in the mom and pop stores.
Cavinkare in India is currently selling the perfume, deodorant and shower gel ranges of Adidas and Jovan. Cavinkare also has plans to introduce a range of cosmetic products for men in the Indian market.
Our Alliances With Haw Par :
Cavinkare's expansion drive into the healthcare business has resulted in an alliance with Haw Par Corporation Limited. Haw Par Corporation Limited is involved in healthcare and leisure products. One of their leading healthcare products is Tiger Balm - a world renowned ointment and arguably one of the world's leading topical analgesics
Tiger Balm began its journey when Aw Chu Kin, a Chinese herbalist working in the Emperor's court, left China and set up a small medicine shop called Eng Aun Tong in Rangoon, in the 1870s, where he would make and sell his special ointment that was effective in relieving all kinds of aches and pains
When Aw Chu Kin died in 1908, he left his business to his two sons Aw Boon Haw (meaning gentle tiger) and Aw Boon Par (meaning gentle leopard). They took the business to Singapore and successfully sold their ointment to surrounding countries like Malaysia, Hong Kong, Batavia, Siam and various cities in China. Aw Boon Haw was the marketing genius who named the product Tiger Balm after himself
Today, Tiger Balm is arguably the world's leading analgesic remedy that has been trusted by generations to provide care, healing and comfort for nearly 100 years. With its unique formulation derived from herbal ingredients, Tiger Balm's healing properties sooth and relieve bodily aches and pains to restore balance to hectic lifestyles, and give a sense of wellness to the body and mind. Suitable for the young and the old, Tiger Balm is available in more than 100 countries across the globe
Cavinkare markets the product in India, and Tiger Balm is available in all medical outlets as well as in mom and pop stores across India. Cavinkare currently sells only the Tiger Red Balm and the White Balm. It plans to introduce other formats of the balm to the Indian audience at a later stage.
After establishing a stronghold on the domestic markets, Cavinkare set up its International Business division in 1999 and spread its wings beyond India’s geographical borders. Currently, Cavinkare markets its brands in more than 13 countries including Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Singapore and GCC countries. The International Business division develops tailor made products that cater to foreign markets with international standards.
Sri Lanka : Sri Lanka was the first foreign country that Cavinkare engaged with through its International Business division as early as 1999. Chik Shampoo, Fairever and Nyle Lotions have made significant inroads in their respective categories. The Sri Lanka market is inclined towards egg, black and king coconut variants therefore Cavinkare customized Chik Shampoo according to the Sri Lanka market needs. Fairever Fruit was launched in March, 2012 and it took the market by storm, creating ripples in the industry. Cavinkare also partnered with one of the biggest business houses in Sri Lanka for its distribution activities.
Bangladesh : Cavinkare Bangladesh Pvt. Ltd. (CKBPL) is a 100% subsidiary of Cavinkare Pvt. Ltd., India. It was established in 2004. The business is driven by a team of sales, commercial and administrative staff headed by a country manager. Cavinkare has also entered into a manufacturing agreement with a local third party unit where Fairever Fairness Cream and Chik Shampoo are currently manufactured.
Nepal : Cavinkare's operations in Nepal have been in existence since 1999. Chik Shampoo, Spinz Deodorant and Indica Hair Color have made a significant impact in their respective categories here. Chik Shampoo was rated as one amongst Nepal's top brands in a research conducted by A C Nielsen in 2006. Fairever and Nyle Shampoo have shown consistent growth over the years.
The launch of Indica 10 Minutes, a breakthrough innovation in the powdered hair color category, has been a promising initiative to further bolster the growth of business in Nepal. Cavinkare has placed a regional manager to handle business in Nepal.
Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) : One of the fastest growing regions of the International Business Division has been the GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council) countries that include UAE, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar, Kuwait and Bahrain. With a steady growth of Fairever Fairness Cream, Cavinkare further extended its products into Fairever Fruit and Fairever Anti Ageing Fairness Cream. Nyle Herbal Hair Oil has established itself in the oil category by offering unique benefits supported by innovative packaging. As a continuation of the legacy of unique offerings, Nyle has launched the Treatment Series – a unique concept of a kit comprising Oil, Shampoo and Leave-On – available in two variants, anti dandruff and anti hairfall. Cavinkare has placed a marketing professional in Dubai to drive the GCC business.
Malaysia, Singapore and Myanmar : Cavinkare has established Fairever and Ruchi as popular brands amongst the tamil population of Malaysia and Singapore. Malaysia is one of the key focus markets which offer a huge potential for growth. Cavinkare aims to tap the potential by building Fairever, Nyle and Ruchi in Skin Care, Hair Care and Foods Categories respectively. Cavinkare has appointed a sales team in Malaysia that will be driving the business in Malaysia, Singapore and Myanmar.
The Journey Continues : Cavinkare is engaged in trading operations across the world in countries like USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. In a significant move towards geographical expansion, high potential markets like Egypt, Kenya, Nigeria, and South Africa are being considered for business development.
Trends In Vogue
Trends In Vogue Private Limited, a Cavinkare initiative came into being in July, 2002, with the sole purpose of offering customers with the best grooming solutions. The need amongst customers for exclusive salons that can offer world class styling for the whole family, culminated in the birth of Trends In Vogue. It operates two successful salon chains – Limelite and Green Trends.
Both brands have expanded across the country delighting customers with its array of hair and skin services. Trends In Vogue has set up its salons with top-of-the-line equipment, infrastructure and delivers services through professionally trained skilled stylists.
Trends in Vogue envisions the brand becoming the largest and most-coveted chain of hair and beauty salons in India, and to be
the first to bring change in the industry through product innovations, customer-centric service delivery mechanisms, and gratifying the ever-changing needs of the customer.
To,Cavinkare Private Limited