Tacrolimus (Ointment 0.03%, Ointment 0.1%)
What is TBIS ointment?
TBIS ointment is a prescription medicine used on the skin (topical) to treat eczema (atopic dermatitis). TBIS ointment is in a class of medicines called topical calcineurin inhibitors. TBIS ointment is for adults and children age 2 years and older who do not have a weakened immune system. TBIS ointment is used on the skin for short periods, and if needed, treatment may be repeated with breaks in between.
It is not known if TBIS ointment is safe and effective in people who have a weakened immune system. TBIS ointment is not for use in children under 2 years of age.
When should one use TBIS ointment Taccrolimus cream 1% can be used for the treatment of moderate to severe atopic eczema that is unresponsive to conventional therapy. The cream is available on prescription only.
What are the advantages of using TBIS ointment?
Since TBIS is a topical calcineurin inhibitor it is devoid of side effects that are normally seen with the long term usage of steroids. Various studies have proved the safety and efficacy of Pimecrolimus in atopic eczema.
The skin begins to improve in about the first week of using the ointment, with an improvement in itching and redness, and this continues whilst treatment carries on. It is important to understand that topical Tacrolimus is not a cure for atopic eczema; it is a new way of controlling the eruption of atopic eczema.
What should I tell my doctor before starting TBIS ointment?
Before you start using TBIS ointment, tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions, including
- Have any infection on your skin including chicken pox or herpes
- Have been told you have a weakened immune system
- Are pregnant, breastfeeding, or planning to become pregnant.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take including prescribed and non prescribed medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
- Tell your doctor about all the skin medicines and products you use.
- Know the medicines you take.
How should one apply TBIS ointment
- Use TBIS ointment exactly as prescribed.
- Use TBIS ointment only on areas of your skin that have eczema.
- Use TBIS ointment for short periods, and if needed, treatment may be repeated with breaks in between.
- Stop TBIS ointment when the signs and symptoms of eczema, such as itching, rash, and redness go away, or as directed by your doctor.
- Follow your doctor’s advice if symptoms of eczema return after a treatment with TBIS ointment