Caterpillar India Private Limited
Since 1925, Caterpillar Inc. has been helping our customers build a better world – making sustainable progress possible and driving positive change on every continent.
With 2019 sales and revenues of $53.8 billion, Caterpillar is the world’s leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. Services offered throughout the product life cycle, cutting-edge technology and decades of product expertise set Caterpillar apart, providing exceptional value to help our customers succeed. The company principally operates through three primary segments – Construction Industries, Resource Industries and Energy & Transportation – and provides financing and related services through its Financial Products segment.
|Nature of Business||Manufacturer|
|Company CEO||Jim Umpleby|
|Registered Address||Pestige Shantinikaten, Tower B, 6th Floor, White Filed, Bengaluru - 560048, Karnataka, India|
|Total Number of Employees||1001 to 2000 People|
|Year of Establishment||1925|
|Legal Status of Firm||Limited Company (Ltd./Pvt.Ltd.)|
|Annual Turnover||More than Rs. 10000 Crore|
|Quality Measures / Testing Facilities||Yes|
Packaging/Payment and Shipment Details
|Shipment Mode||By Road|
About The Company
For more than 85 years, Caterpillar has been building the world’s infrastructure and, in partnership with our worldwide network of CAT Dealers, has helped drive positive and sustainable change on every continent. We are the world’s leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines and industrial gas turbines. We are also a leading provider of financial, re-manufacturing, logistics, and rail services.
Our machines build everything from roads and airports to pipelines and buildings. Our engines power generators in remote locations and ocean-going ships. Our financial services make it easy for our customers to get the machines and engines they need to build a better future for their business and communities.
We are proud of our role in building the world’s infrastructure because the work we do makes progress possible for millions of people around the globe.
Our company and our CAT Dealers feel right at home, well, everywhere. Caterpillar manufactures more than 300 products in 23 countries and serves customers in more than 180 countries. Our global presence extends to every continent and includes over 500 facility locations – almost half of which are outside the U.S.
Caterpillar has made its mark as a technology leader that is committed to excellence in everything it does. Thanks to the dedication and hard work of over 125,000 employees worldwide, its reputation for quality and commitment to Sustainable Development ensure the name “Caterpillar” is synonyms with customer value.+ Read More
Our Founders: Holt & Best
Early on, Holt and Best were competitors. But, together, these innovators led to the success of Caterpillar and track-type tractors of today.
In a time when horses powered infrastructure and agriculture, Caterpillar co-founders Benjamin Holt and C.L. Best created products that transformed the way our customers worked. Holt invented a steam tractor in 1890 to keep farmers working longer than horses could. Best responded to customer needs with a focus on early gasoline technology.
The Emergence of Tracks- And The Name "Caterpillar"
In 1904, Benjamin Holt replaced the rear wheels from a Holt steam tractor with a pair of tracks to help Caterpillar farmers deal with soft soil. During a field test in 1905, the company photographer exclaimed that the machine crawled like a big.
From Steam To Gasoline
While Holt was famous for developing the tracks, C.L. Best focused his inventions on early gasoline and undercarriage technology improving product reliability and performance. In fact, some of these early features remain part of today’s Caterpillar tractor DNA.
The Merger: Forming The Caterpillar Tractor Co.
Following World War I, the Holt Caterpillar Co. and C.L. Best Tractor Co. combined their strengths to provide customers with innovative products and a strong dealer network. Today, our dealer network operates on the same principles to help our customers do the work. The old saying remains true — buy the iron, get the company.
The Great Depression Leads To Innovation
Although the company was feeling the effects of the Great Depression, Caterpillar invested in products and technologies that are still important to our business today. We expanded our product line to offer more solutions to build, power and connect the world, including the first true motor grader (the auto patrol).
We Haven't Always Been Yellow
The need for better visibility on road construction sites led to our colorful change from gray to hi-way yellow in 1931.
On December 7, 1931, gray paint and red trim were replaced with hi-way yellow and black trim. Today, we call our paint color Caterpillar Yellow.
A Growing Product Line
The growth of automobiles created the need for a better road system and expanding our product line to meet the needs of customers.
Caterpillar’s original product line consisted of one product with five models. Since then, our product line has evolved to meet growing customer needs. Although our machines were originally created for agriculture, our customers found a use for them in building road and infrastructure.
The first production Caterpillar diesel engine, the D9900, was manufactured in October 1931 after 18 months of design and testing. Over $1 million (U.S.) was spent on research and development — a considerable investment in those days. Originally designed to power the Caterpillar Sixty track-type tractor, this engine cemented the company as a pioneer in building vehicular diesel engines. In 1931, Caterpillar created a separate engine group and expanded its engine development to areas like generator sets and marine power.+ Read More
- Design all new facility construction to meet Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) or comparable green building criteria
- Reduce energy intensity by 50 percent.
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions intensity by 50 percent.
- Use alternative / renewable sources to meet 20 percent of our energy needs
- Reduce water consumption intensity by 50 percent.
- Reduce by-product materials intensity by 50 percent.
- Reduce recordable workplace injury rates to 0.6 and lost-time case rate due to injury to 0.15
Goals For Product Stewardship:
- Leverage technology and innovation to improve sustainability of our products, services and solutions for our customers.
- Increase managed fleet hours by 100 percent.
- Increase remanufactured and rebuild business sales by 20 percent.
- Provide leadership in the safety of people in, on and around our products
Profitable growth is our clear definition of winning.
Profitable growth allows us to invest in future products and services – and in our people to ensure they are recognized, rewarded and developed for continued success. Higher profits also mean more money to invest in our company, improving our position as a global leader, providing better solutions to customers and creating more opportunities for our people, partners and shareholders.+ Read More
Our Future Plans
At Caterpillar, our goal isn’t to simply grow the business. Our enterprise strategy for profitable growth means investing in areas with the most potential to create value.
To accomplish this, we use the Operating & Execution (O&E) Model. It helps us identify whether individual areas of our business are creating or consuming value. We use facts and data to understand which industries are most attractive and what it would take to win. We then implement strategies to improve our competitive position in profitable businesses and allocate resources to areas that have the best potential for future growth.+ Read More
We make our work environment and the world better through our actions.
Though our business evolves with a changing marketplace, Our Values in Action are timeless, guiding our conduct with customers, partners and one another around the world. Our Values in Action defines what we do and how we do it. Using our Values, we go beyond compliance to create an inclusive work environment where we are proud to belong and can do our best work.
- Integrity: we believe in the power of honesty
- Excellence: we set and achieve ambitious goals
- Teamwork: we help each other succeed
- Commitment: we embrace our responsibilities
- Sustainability: we are committed to building a better world
Services growth is a core focus of our strategy. We have a bold goal to double our Machinery, Energy and Transportation (ME&T) services sales to $28 billion by 2026 from our 2016 baseline.
At Caterpillar, we define services as the value we provide to customers after the equipment purchase – everything from aftermarket parts to maintenance agreements to financing – with a goal of delivering a superior customer experience. We invest time, talent and resources in service offerings because they drive value for our customers. Services can reduce total owning and operating costs for customers and deliver revenue for Caterpillar and our dealers throughout the cycles.
Our services set us apart from the competition by allowing us to provide unique insights and customer-focused solutions throughout the lifecycle of our products. Using our large installed base of connected equipment, outstanding field technology, and decades of product, service and application expertise, we can transform traditional offerings into services that make our customers more successful.+ Read More
- Built For Customer Success: We are in it for the long haul—for our customers and for our world. Our customers can be found in virtually every corner of the earth, and we realize our success comes directly from helping our customers be successful.
- Built For Transforming Lives: We take seriously our responsibility to give back to the communities in which we work and live. The Caterpillar Foundation, founded in 1952, is helping to make sustainable progress possible around the world through support of environmental sustainability, access to education and fulfillment of basic human needs.
- Built For The Future: We have a long history of innovation and using leading edge technology to provide customer solutions. Whether we're researching ways to move more dirt with less fuel, developing products that generate fewer emissions or exploring autonomous vehicle solutions, our strength is integrating customer feedback with ideas and actions to ensure our customers' success. Now and in the future.
- Safety: Safety remains our first and most significant priority. We must never relent on our commitment to ensure every employee returns home safely every day. We also prioritize safety for our customers and dealers by offering training, resources and safety features.
- Quality: We’re committed to quality. It’s what our customers expect from the CAT brand.
- Lean: We’ve seen great successes using Lean in manufacturing, but we are expanding it to all other areas of our business, including product development and transactional work. The Lean vision aims to accelerate knowledge, best practice sharing and success metrics at all levels.
- Competitive and Flexible Cost Structure: It’s critical to maintain a competitive and flexible cost structure throughout our business cycle. Our ability to have both competitive and flexible costs based on industry volumes will separate Caterpillar from our competitors.
Brands We Deal In
The Caterpillar brand represents the whole corporation and our people. Cat® is the flagship brand of products and services with customers served by our independently owned and operated global Cat dealer network.
Some of our other brands include Progress Rail, Solar Turbines, Perkins and SEM.
Explore our categories
Reviewed by 30 Users
Prashant Sinha ★★★★★ ★★★★★
Vinod Yadav ★★★★★ ★★★★★