In 1921, the mill was established as Carnatic Paper Mills Ltd. at Rajahmundry, Andhra Pradesh. During its initial years the mill was not making any profits and was eventually shut down due to insolvency. In 1929, The Andhra Paper Mills Co. Ltd. was incorporated to take over the assets of Carnatic Paper Mills Ltd. After formation of the State of Andhra Pradesh in 1953, the Andhra government took over the Rajahmundry mill. Its capacity at that time was 10 TPD. Pursuant to a joint venture agreement between Government of Andhra Pradesh and the industrialist, Mr. G. D Somani, the Government agreed to transfer the assets to a new company, to be formed in the name of “The Andhra Pradesh Paper Mills Ltd.” Accordingly, the company was incorporated on June 29, 1964, under the Companies Act, 1956. In 1966, Somani transferred his rights and obligations to the West Coast Paper Mills Ltd., which in turn transferred its ownership in 1981 to Digvijay Investments Ltd. controlled by Mr. L N Bangur. The company was a family run business of the Bangurs till 2011. In 2011, The Andhra Pradesh Paper Mills Ltd. was acquired by International Paper (IP), a $30 billion American pulp and paper company founded in 1898. In the first significant domestic acquisition by a foreign paper company, IP bought 75% stake in the company. IP is the largest pulp and paper company in the world, with approximately 61,500 employees across 24 countries. It is headquartered in Memphis, Tennessee, USA.
In December, 2013, the company was renamed to “International Paper APPM Limited”. The name change intended to recognize the parentage of International Paper, while maintaining the link to the history and positioning of the Andhra Paper Mills brand. This is also to ensure that we direct future investments in brand-building around the IP brand leveraging our global presence and technology.+ Read More
Nature of BusinessManufacturer
Year of Establishment1964
Legal Status of FirmPrivate Limited Company