Moxytec 625 mg (500/125 mg) Tablet is a combination medicine used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. Amoxycillin interferes with the growth and division process of the bacterial cell wall while clavulanic acid ensures extended anti-bacterial activity. This combination is used to treat bacterial infections of the lungs and airways, middle ear, sinuses, skin, and the urinary tract.
The combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid is used to treat certain infections caused by bacteria, including infections of the ears, lungs, sinus, skin, and urinary tract. Clavulanic acid is in a class of medications called beta-lactamase inhibitors. It works by preventing bacteria from destroying amoxicillin.
Amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium tablets USP are an oral antibacterial combination consisting of the semisynthetic antibiotic amoxicillin and the β-lactamase inhibitor, clavulanate potassium (the potassium salt of clavulanic acid). Amoxicillin is an analog of ampicillin, derived from the basic penicillin nucleus, 6-aminopenicillanic acid. Chemically, amoxicillin is (2S,5R,6R)-6-[(R)-(-)-2-Amino-2-(p-hydroxyphenyl)acetamido]-3,3-dimethyl-7-oxo-4-thia-1-azabicyclo[3.2.0]heptane-2-carboxylic acid trihydrate and has the following structural formula.
- Ear Infection (Otitis Media): This medicine is used to treat infections of the middle ear caused by bacteria.
- Nose Infection (Sinusitis): This medicine is used in the treatment of infections of the nose and nasal chamber caused by bacteria.
- Throat Infection (Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis): This medicine is used in the treatment of infections of the throat and airways leading to lungs, namely Tonsillitis and Pharyngitis caused by bacteria.
- Lower Respiratory Tract Infection: This medicine is used in the treatment of infections of the airways leading to the lungs. The infections can be Pneumonia, acute bronchitis, or others caused by different bacterial strains.
- Skin Infection: This medicine is used in the treatment of infections of the skin and skin structures caused by bacteria.
- Urinary Tract Infection: This medicine is used in the treatment of infections of the bladder (Cystitis) and kidneys (Pyelonephritis).
- Stomach Ulcers: This medicine is used in the treatment of stomach ulcers caused by Helicobacter pylori. It is normally used in combination with other medicines to treat this condition.
- Febrile Neutropenia: This medicine is also used in combination with other antibiotics to treat fever associated with a low count of white blood cells in the body.