Phacoemulsification is also commonly called as Laser Cataract Operation.
Phacoemulsification refers to modern cataract surgery in which the eye's internal lens is emulsified with an ultrasonic handpiece and aspirated from the eye. Aspirated fluids are replaced with irrigation of balanced salt solution, thus maintaining the anterior chamber, as well as cooling the handpiece.
Pre-Op Cataract Surgery Instructions
- Have a head bath the day before surgery.
- You may have coffee, tea or a light breakfast about an hour before surgery.
- Take your morning dose of BP medicines.
- Do not take diabeties tablets or Insulin before surgery.
- Try to stop TAB Ecoprin/Asprin or other blood thinners 2 days before cataract surgery.
Pre Operative Medication
- Vigamox or Eye drops 4 times in both eyes to be started 2 days before surgery.
- Tropac-eyedrops in the eye to be operated.To be started 1 hour before surgery instilled every 15 min.
- TAB 250mg : 1 TAB at bed time and 1 Tablet at morning 6AM .
Post Operative Instructions
- Wear dark glasses for 7 days in-door and 4 weeks when you go out-doors.
- Take normal diet & diabetic diet as usual. There are no diet restrictions from our side.
- Take all other medication as usual along with the medicines prescribed by us restart anti-coagulants after 24 hrs.
- You can rest in an normally illuminated room.
- You can sleep on either side.
- You can take body bath every day and head bath after 2 weeks.
- You can take your morning/evening walk but avoid yoga, running etc.
- House hold work like cooking can be started next day, but dont bend and lift weights.
- You can watch TV and do reading for as long as you are comfortable but do not over do it.
- Clean around your eye with cotton boiled in water for 15 mins squeezed dry.
- The person who is cleaning the eye or putting the eye drops should wash hands through with soap and water.(Before)
- While putting the eye drops pull the lower lid gently and instill 1 drop prescribed medicine.
- Avoid putting pressure/rubbing on eye