New Goa High School, which till January 1962 was known as Anglo-Portuguese Institute was founded in June 1943 by the Late Shri. Gundu Sitaram Amonkar.
He was born in Chicalim, Colvale. After his middle schooling he was sent to Bombay, where he graduated from Elphinstone College in 1924. Heeding Gandhiji’s call to the youth to work in villages, he returned to Goa in 1925, after giving up a lucrative Government job in Bombay. He soon won recognition as an inspired teacher, writer, social worker and reformer.
After resigning from his teacher’s job in Sacred Heart of Jesus High School, Parra after 18 years of service, in 1943 he founded his own school in Mhapsa by reviving a defunct one called Anglo Portuguese Institute, as no new school imparting education in media other than Portuguese, could be started in Goa as per the Portuguese Government decree, as the Portuguese Government did not look kindly on English and Marathi schools for they considered them as breeding grounds of Indian nationalism.
His reputation as a teacher had travelled before him and students flocked to his school, which he started at Ximer, Ansabhat, Mhapsa in a rented house that belonged to Dr.Aba Laad. In fact in the first year itself the enrolment was 184 students. The school provided facilities for Mhapsa youth, particularly girls, to receive their secondary education, as other English teaching schools were in Parra, Arpora, Saligao and Aldona in Bardez. His school really benefited Mhapsa girls as in those days they could not easily commute to far away places. The school was recognized by Bombay University in the very first year of its inception on 22-3-1944.
He always wanted his school to be housed in its own premises and he was looking out for a suitable place. In 1946 he found one place in Altinho, Mhapsa and bought a plot measuring 1500 sq.m. approx. with a large house. The house was bought by raising a loan for the then princely sum of Rs.lO,OOO/- from Mr. Julião Apoliano D’Souza.
The school then moved to the present site. Running a school in those days was a very challenging proposition. The Portuguese Government did not give any grants and the school had to depend entirely on school fees. Moreover, many parents used to ask for freeships/half freeships. Teachers were not easily available in Goa and had to be brought from outside. His wife, Smt. Vasanti ably assisted him in school management. She was an excellent manager of funds and whenever there was a shortage of funds to meet teachers’ monthly salary, she would give her gold ornaments to be pawned to raise funds to meet teachers’ salaries.
He raised another loan of Rs.20,000/- in 1948 for extending the school building so that all the classes could function under one roof. This loan was arranged from Mr. Kaka Deshprabhu (Viscount of Pernem) at 3% per annum.
The school was recognized by the Maharastra Board of Secondary Education in 1950.
He took ill in December 1959 and started keeping indifferent health. The family expected his son Shri Suresh G. Amonkar to be with his father and take over the reins of the school. Mr. Suresh Amonkar had left for Kenya and was teaching in the Goan School, Mombasa from 1956 to 1960. He had obtained admission to a British University for the term commencing August 1961 but that was not to be. For him it was a period of personal crisis but God’s will prevailed and he returned to Goa in April 1960.
After Goa’s liberation in 1961 he named his school NEW GOA HIGH SCHOOL to reflect the aspirations of renascent Goa.
Have a requirement?
Get Best Price1